Re: What to do about *_layout in 7?

On 12/12/2012 09:31 AM, Alan Lord wrote:
On 08/10/12 17:46, Olivier Dony wrote:

The plan is:
- line ordering enabled by default without needing an extra module
- line ordering propagates throughout the workflow by default
- multi-line/complex description allowed for each line by default, reducing the
need for notes/titles/etc
- nothing planned to replace subtotals/title/etc.

Hi again,

I just did a quick test last night of the trunk build and my careful
ordering of a sale.order was not propagated to a Delivery Note. I will
assume in that case that it will also not get propagated to an Invoice.

Thanks for the feedback. Let's see each case separately:

= Invoices =

I've just tested and the sequence and descriptions seem to propagate well between SO and Customer Invoice. On a side note the "handle" to reorder invoice lines is still missing, that will be fixed soon.

= Delivery Orders =

- Multiline descriptions -
The long description *is* propagated to delivery orders, but it is currently not displayed unless you open the full form view of each line. It's a question of displaying the right information to the right person, and I'm not sure what is the best choice in the case of stock moves: - if we only display the multiline descriptions, it will be a waste of time and screen estate for warehouse officers, who are presumably more interested by product codes and names (at least in 90% of the cases, and they can open the full form view for the other cases) - if we only display multiline descriptions it will also be quite strange on all the reporting/analysis screens where you're querying the inventory content based on product names - if we display both the "product" column and the multi-line descriptions, the duplication of information will annoy everybody and waste even more screen estate

- Line ordering -
Lines are ordered based on the expected delivery date rather than the original sequence, because that's what warehouse officers will care about, especially for long delivery orders. Should we change that in favor of the sequence used on the SO, given that in many cases it will be completely arbitrary/random? I don't think it's a good idea.

For the various Delivery Slip/Receipt Slip print reports we should indeed use the multiline description, but should it replace the product name? Probably yes, because if we use both we'll waste a lot of space again. And what about the line ordering? Should we use the order of the SO, and be inconsistent with the way we display it in list views? I'm not sure.

What do you think?

I'd also like to make an observation regarding the facility to add
multi-line comments on a Quote... From my tests I could include markup,
html or wiki, so this might be useful for an advanced reporting tool
like Aeroo or Webkit.

Well, the downside would be that it would look bad in the standard Delivery Slip of OpenERP. But then if you plan to use webkit or aeroo you might not care, so why not.

One disappointing aspect though is that these notes/comment lines do not
get propagated to the DN. If you are shipping a large order and need to
make comments or identify blocks of products within a shipment this make
OpenERP very hard to use for my customers.

The information is propagated already, it's in the 'name' column of the stock moves, ready to be used in any report, including the built-in one. But the issues described above apply.

Cheers,