Performance of base_import/new load implemetation

Hello,

importing ~2.000 partners or 1.200 products via xml-rpc/load or via
web-interface(base_import) I see quite a huge loss in performance on 7.0.

Importing this amount of records seems like a very basic task. It now
takes between 10 and 30 minutes each.

How do you get along with the performance of import (new load api)?
Is there any work undergoing for optimisation or does anyone have tips
to speedup the import?

Due to the ease of the import format(inherits, relations) I'd really
like to stick with it. I know switching to plain sql would perform
better but requires a lot more pre-processing and precautions.

Thx for any feedback,
Peter Niederlag

Follow ups