Re: OpenERP: Partners Collaboration Model

Le 06/02/2013 12:17, Christophe Hanon a écrit :

I agree with Arun.

Not saying I am against Bertrand opinion. If you find a published module and get benefits using it, it is fair to work with and pay the publisher.

However it seems, there are some difficulties in OpenERP community to admit that publishers are giving their code with some financial return expectation... Strange, since most of us are working for commercially oriented organisation...

Thus resulting into these empty shell modules or maze-minded branches.

That's a fantasy. Those in this state of mind moved to Tryton.
So let's wait and see what is offered to the market, shall we?
Then if it doesn't sell, don't blame customers. They must be *very demanding*. Some are short on money, others are top experts in their field.

By the way current apps site is a disaster, very hard to find something, list of branches without clean comments and regularly spammed.

Totally.

So I think more quality modules will be published the day publishers can get a minimal fee for their code.

This is not incompatible with open-source -- see the joomla extensions web site. Free and commercial are equally published but all in open-source.

Take no offense but frankly, I'm sure *no existing integrator* has the means to provide "quality modules" on advanced business issues *on their own*. It's easy to publish a module when a customer's project is done, but this is *not good enough and I won't buy it*. Integrators' pockets can't be deep enough to make it right: with extra quality, extra documentation, extra design, extra everything.
That's why OpenERP SA refuses to develop advanced ERP features.
That's why the top partners now share their R&D effort through the community.

As a customer, here's my point of view:
I did pay for OpenERP education - that was worth every single euro.
I would pay for standardized, top quality modules with a long-term vision. But there's no such thing for sale that I'm aware of. Eventually, the community (that's you and me!) will provide them for free.
Eventually, I'll gladly pay for advice regarding those modules.
I would pay for connectors to use particular hardware, webservices, third-party software and so on, if they were base on a standardized generic module.

Lionel Sausin.