Re: OpenERP: Partners Collaboration Model

I think you miss one point. Getting the source code is not enough to use it. You still need the license from the author that allows you to republish the code, use it in your own own programs, etc.

Is it possible to find a solution, where openerp and the core modules of openerp is open source, but OpenERP allows to build other modules with commercial licences? I'm not an expert in licenses but it all goes with the question about the nature of AGPL and licences compatibility.

I am quite sure that it is possible to create a comercial software that would communicate with OpenERP via xml-rpc. But the question is, is it possible to create a closed-license OpenERP module.

Assume that somebody writes an OpenERP module without copying a line of code from OpenERP AGPL licenced modules. I am quite sure that at this point you can licence it however you want and distribte it in any way you want.

There are several important questions that have to be answered.
1. Can you distribute the module together with other OpenERP AGPL licenced modules? 2. Can anyone who bought this module import it to OpenERP (Assuming that he or she uses it internally in his/hers company)? 3. If a company A who bought this module shows the system to company B, can company B ask company A to show him/her the source code of this module because of OpenERP AGPL license? 4. If a company A who bought this module shows the system to company B and company C gets info that such module exists, can company C ask for the source code ot the module? 5. If answers for the questions 3 or 4 is "Yes", can the license in the module forbid the company B or C to use the code, publish, sell, change, incorporate any programs? 6. If answer for the question 5 is "Yes", can you distribute a "dirty" version of the code, for example with names of the variables chanded, with no comments, with all xml, yaml, rml, css files taken out.

I think that if we answer these five questions we will get the answer, whether it is possible to create any "sellable" OpenERP modules.

Does anyone have any answers to any of the these question.