Re: Proposal to document addons incompatibilities

On 08/17/2013 04:03 PM, Fabien Pinckaers wrote:
Hi,

Some community modules are incompatible with each other, or with core modules. It may not be desirable but it is sometimes unavoidable and is a fact today.

Do you have some examples of incompatible modules where it's unavoidable?

Hi Fabien,

for functional areas which the official modules do not cover exhaustively, often multiple community modules are published that fill in the lacking functionality (usually from different point of views). Users should be prevented from installing any combination of these modules that are known to conflict. Banking for instance is one such area.

Even if we can strive to coordinate these community efforts on a voluntary basis (which we do concerning banking functionality), this is a longer term effort and we have to live with known incompatibilities in the mean time. Being able to encode them in the manifest file in a way that is honoured by the installation process would save a lot of people the trouble of having to find out these incompatibilities for themselves the hard way.

Cheers,
Stefan.