Re: Proposal to document addons incompatibilities

Hi,

> Some community modules are incompatible with each other, or with core modules. It may not be desirable but it is sometimes unavoidable and is a fact today.

Do you have some examples of incompatible modules where it's unavoidable?

My first though would be to understand why a module may create incompatibilities and fix what could be fixed. (e.g. on_change stuff may create incompatibilities, but it's fixed with the new API)

Developing a module that create incompatibilities is usually the sign of a bug (e.g. a module that add a required field without a default value -> this creates incompatibilities but it's a bug as they are plenty of others way to trigger the bug)

I have only one reason in mind where incompatibilities are created and it's not a bug; modules embedding JS libs that are incompatible. It's not a bug but it's avoidable.

> Discovering such incompatibilities is a painful process, and there is no structured mechanism to communicate about them once they have been (re)discovered.
>
> This has been discussed in the past [1], but was not followed by concrete steps, AFAIK.
>
> As a first step, would the community agree with the addition of a field named "incompatible" in __openerp__.py, providing a simple list of module names that are known to be incompatible?
>
> This would be beneficial to the community, even without support in the core or apps.openerp.com, by letting module maintainers declare known incompatibilities.
>
> Populating this field can follow the normal merge proposal and review process.
>
> If it gains traction, tooling may support it in a second step.

Looks like a good approach as the biggest risk is that those extra fields are not maintained.

Another way is to consider incompatibilities as bugs. (as per my comment above) So, anyone can easily fill a bug on a branch he doesn't own, it's way easier than going through the merge proposal process. (and all the issues related to a module are visible in the same list of bugs)