Re: [OCA] Fundraising and community certification

Excellent initiative. Will be a quality booster and a good possibility to demonstrate professionalism too.

Hi everybody,
OCA (the OpenERP Community Association) is on the run and this is a good opportunity to give it a purpose and direction.
First of all I think we need to think about fund raising to build a cash box. I am thinking of a fully voluntary fundraising system (similar to wikipedia for example)

What would be the purpose of this raised money?
Several could come to mind:
- AGM organization
- Advertisement/communication
- General expenses from volunteers (travel, office supplies etc.)

One goal though that I would like to achieve first would be the creation of an official OpenERP Community Module Certification process.

Objective would be to certify modules with the following specifications:
- Modules need to be available in the OpenERP community modules under AGPL or similar.
- They are fully compatible with the current standard version of OpenERP
- Coding practices are OpenERP standard, generic enough and provided with complete documentation and unit tests (standards to be defined).
- They are part of a given set and are compatible with the set of modules (eg: extended MRP functions for OpenERP 7.0 or extended barcoding management in OpeneRP 7 or CMMS extension for OpenERP 7.0 etc...)

Additional considerations:
- Certification would be achieved within the OpenERP Community (process and expertise to be discussed) and should be renewed for every OpenERP version.
- A website/communication tool/field in __openerp__.py should gather all certified modules so that users/company can easily know for sure which set of modules are compatible and working according to professional standards.

Your thoughts?

--

Eric Caudal
CEO