Re: Community, Please pay more attention to the changes of OpenERP core

Hello Alexandre.

You are right, we try with our OPW's do this:

In our side:
1.- Make a proper public bug report.
2.- Relate the lp:NUMBER to our OPW.
3.- Ask for merge All Solutions.
4.- If the solution is a workaround, or the bug is invalid we try to make
comments in the bug report.

In the OpenERP side.

1.- Ask for a proper merge proposal "WE DO NOT ACCEPT PATCHes"
Reason: If a patch is not good enough for merge, Why i should use them in
our enviroment?

2.- Ask for relate all branches to bugs (this was an exceptional for the
complex case, we pass this step).
Reason: We have +10 instance in big customers, is humanly impossible with
this "little" number have a quality trace without such controls, I cant
imagine 100 or 200.

3.- When apply, ask for tests (obviously not always apply), but is
important ask for the test case or mentioned in the commit or in the bug
report or the yaml.

Problems and Solutions:

Problem: All this process is so time consuming for OpenERP and for Us, but
I really think if everybody with an OPW ask for this they will need to do
it as part of them process.

Solutions: I think everybody __must__ buy at least a little Enterprise, in
this way OpenERP will not have "Leak of resources" or will not be obligated
to hire low level resources, Really piss me off when a customer with 30
users using OpenERP says "I don't need enterprise, It is free", if we
"community" Increase the demmand, price can become lower, but until the
bigger ones are the only one who pays, it become a higher climb.

If as community we manage a "*Moral Rule*" for this everybody will win for
sure..... (may be completed this idea with other ones, *like invest in
better approaches by OpenERP SA and so on, but it is other history.*

Problem: "Mergers" merge a solution at least 60% of times is not the
correct approach for an specific bug, Oliver has given us solutions to
specific problems that really just were solved correctly impacting all ORM
(and it is really good) but not everybody has his vision "Eagle Eye as you
know".

Solution: "Time" sometimes we need to live with monkey patches until the
good solution is given, because it is really difficult have the BIg
spectrum of the problem.

Problem: "People think sometimes it is not a matter of money.", I really
understand we are "Community" but everybody has economical benefits "in one
way or another" from the tool, please buy "licences" it is not "mandatory"
by law it is "necesary" to grow up correctly.

Problem: Sometimes OpenERP dont include thinks becasuse it impact deeper
"Stable branches" IMHO, it is so subjective, and we can not make wait to a
customer for the next release to solve problems, obviously, it bring a lot
of work internally.

Solution: "I couln't find another solution than: Hire good people
internally" to manage that situation.

My big dream is:
Imaging 400 Partners:

Opening markets.
Working in this way.
Making a good Job.
Giving profit for the enviroment.

At the end of the day, nothing can happen only good things.

My 2 cents... sorry for the big email.

2013/10/10 Alexandre Fayolle <alexandre.fayolle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hello Jeff,
>
> I agree with you : all changes in Stable should be traceable to
> something explaining the cause of the change, either a bug report, or a
> blueprint, or a url somewhere. It is normally easy to do this with
> launchpad. However, with OPW, things get tricky because apparently a lot
> of OPW are handled directly by a mail to support@xxxxxxxxxxx, without
> submitting a proper bug report.
>
> I tried to convince Olivier Dony last spring that in these cases it
> should be the support's job to properly record a bug report, but I don't
> think I was too successful.
>
> --
> Alexandre Fayolle
> Chef de Projet