Multiple alternates parts

Hello All,

      Wondering if someone has come up with this solution via a module
already.
        Company I work for is a manufacture of electronic products.  Our
stock is comprised of hundreds of electronic components. Over the yrs some
of them become obsolete but we still need to keep
the components as a stock-able item but we have newer components that are
alternates that are linked back to the original component number.

Some of the products we make here go back almost 20 yrs and those
part-lists still reference the original part. To prevent us from having to
update a old parts list(20 yrs old) we maintain those
older part numbers and our current system, that I'm working to replace, we
can look up the replacement for it.

The current system is just a mess, and I'm not putting that lightly, I
wasn't the one who developed it :).

So we are now at a stage that we need to start almost from the beginning.

We also deal with lots, in the sense that if a package of resistors is
received by us today we, mark it with today's date as a lot number.

r1k5p (original 20 yr old part number)
|___ Digi1k  (alt part)
|        |______ Lot 09012013  (10 pieces in inventory)
|___ Mouser1k (alt part)
        |______ Lot 06162013  (6 pieces in inventory)

When I'm building the parts list. I want to refer to the original part
"r1k5p", If I create a MO for say 15 units (and say part - r1k5p is used
once). It would create a picklist (BOM)
that would show up something like this:

r1k5p                                            Total: 15
|______ Lot 06162013                           6
|______ Lot 09012013                           9

(I have attached a screen show of this layout in-case the formatting messes
up.)

I know what I'm asking is very likely not been developed already, but no
harm in asking. Or if it's even possible doing with some(or A LOT) of
coding in OpenErp.