Re: Email usability improvements

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Eric Caudal <eric.caudal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Hi everybody,
> Many email features in OpenERP7 are interesting and useful to follow-up on
> many objects (even though not absent bugs or issues).
>
> Nevertheless we tried to start using OpenERP as full corporate email
> client for a company and we experimented a real suffering due to lack of
> usability for very simple functions.
> Not expecting google mail in OpenERP we actually did find out that basic
> functions are not even present, making it impossible the daily usage of
> OpenERP as corporate mail (meaning OpenERP fully replacing any other mail
> client).
> Here are the functionalities that we missed out of the box:
> - no possibility to cc/bcc when sending a mail
> - no possibility to know who are the "followers" (the sending company can
> eventually check the OE but the receiving customer has no way to know
> whether his colleague have been informed).
> - No possibility to save a draft of an email
> - No possibility to forward an email
> - No possibility to create an OE object from a received email ("I received
> a job position application in my personel mail and want to create an
> applicant out of it")
> - ckEditor is overly simplified (why not used standard ckEditor?)
> - No html signature.
> - No email list view for the users (similar to preview list in any
> webmail). Calendar View could be interesting as well.
> - no batch processes to "read/unread" emails (or trash/archive them) .
>
> So here are my questions:
> - I have checked v8 and could not see any visible improvements compared
> with v7: is there anything more we can expect or is the current interface
> to be expected to stay similar in the future?

Hello Eric,

it's normal, if you read carefully the initial roadmap from November 2012,
you will can read: "We may launch a free and open source service to host
every mailbox and we will integrate with most email providers (gmail,
yahoo, …)
It’s a big challenge. But, at OpenERP, we always wanted our users to be
super productive in their daily operations. So, we need to fix this. Even
if it takes 18 months to get to the milestone 3."
here is an archive of the official blog (see last paragraphs):
http://www.erpweb.co.za/blog/2012/11/21/the-future-of-enterprise-emails-in-openerp-7/

So you are a bit too impatient my friend. In fact if you stick to the
official plan, there is still 6 months left out of that 18 months roadmap
to get the job done and get GMail and Google bankrupt following the
terrible fate of good friend SAP that has been nearly wiped off the map by
OpenERP v7 since nearly a year now as widely acknowledged by the market.
BTW, I cannot understand how stupid has been Google to smoke so many phD on
building the BigTable <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigTable> noSQL
technology when they could just have simply run the world e-mails on just a
few gazillions of Postgres server instances.

NB1: strangely you can observe some later back-pedaling on the official
blog about this http://v6.openerp.com/node/1277/

NB2: sorry, that was too easy, but hell sometimes they asked for it.

"Les promesses n'engagent que ceux qui les écoutent" - Jacques Chirac
(French President; yes)

Good luck though.