Re: Email usability improvements

Hello all.

I agreed with 100% of the point mentioned by Eric and W.Martin

IMHO: We just continue using our google apps the really good approach is
that "It is not a message platform" IMHo try to figure out all this
features will make loss the main feature "Links messages to objects" and I
really don't know what __should__ be the future of this message platform.

Even we have other point:

- Wall in not extensible in a solid way.
- FIlters are so dummy ones, no search usefull by default.
- The sanitize html method is really painfull, no way to inherit in an
standard way, or customize.
- Not clean way to ensure https all the time.
- PGP signatures :-s?¿

What I really worry about it is that, OpenERP SA for sure will need rewrite
everything to comply with some basic features already done on other
platforms, and no matter how much code we make, we will lost everything for
V8 or 9 because honestly the js api is not standard at all in client
actions related to messages.

Another thing that really make me think around this, is that when we try to
improve something, OpenERP SA answer always "It is not designed for this or
this" and what really make me crazy is that "What this was really designed
for?"

It is NOT an email system.
It is NOT a chat system.
It is NOT a "MEssage management API".

What it is?

It is "A basic - Basic " message maangement system linked to objects in
OpenERP.

It means, continue using your original mail system, It is not to "Manage
messages".

It should be great listen what are the plans?.

2013/10/11 W. Martin Borgert <debacle@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Quoting "Eric Caudal" <eric.caudal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Here are the functionalities that we missed out of the box:
>>
> [your valid points removed here]
>
>  - no useful handling of attachments when receiving mail, one cannot
>    click on an image attachment and it just opens etc. (I assume,
>    there is no MIME handling at all)
>
> - document attaching when sending mail is missing any re-use of
>   documents, e.g. one can only attach external files, that than are
>   added to the document store, but no re-use documents
>
> - no way of deciding to send a text-only (non-HTML) email
>
> - no spam filter support for receive emails
>
> - no global auto attachment for all outgoing email (e.g. company
>   vcard)
>
> - no original text when (typically indented with '>') replying,
>   at least not in project issue
>
> - no globally configurable cc/bcc addresses for certain domains
>   (e.g. add support person to all outgoing emails from helpdesk)
>

>  - Are there out there other partners/customers willing to invest in
>> improving the ergonomic of OpenERP for the emailing system (again getting
>> it a simple but reasonable webmail interface)?
>>

> I hacked for my own purpose in the email module, adding support
> for spam filter, auto attachment of vcard, global cc/bcc. But
> this is not really helpful for anybody else, I fear. No problem
> in sending you my changes anyway, but you don't want them :~)
>
> Making a good web mail interface is hard. Some people say, Google
> did it not so bad, but I never really tried it. Wouldn't it be
> better to integrate better with existing email infrastructure,
> whatever people are used to use? So that people can just use their
> Thunderbird or MS-Outlook or whatever?
>
> Cheers

--------------------
Saludos Cordiales