OpenERP for request tracking (was: Email usability improvements)

On 2013-10-12 12:12, Tony Gu wrote:
> However, IMHO, the design of OpenERP email/alias system is not
> intend to be a full featured email client or replace the usage of
> any other email client, and it shouldn't be.  The OpenERP mail/alias
> system is actually deem to be a request tracking or enterprise
> social networking system. Combining with the mail gateway, email
> alias, and proper defined actions, we can interact with the
> resources inside OpenERP through email exchange without even logging
> into it.

Probably I don't yet understand how to use the system properly.
My intention to use OpenERP as a request tracking system seems
to fail. That's why:

Customers helpdesk requests go into OpenERP via email. Note,
that customers do not have any access to the OpenERP system.

Helpdesk people can answer to requests via OpenERP, but the
actual request is not quoted, nor is it easy to answer to the
right group of people without going through some "invitation
ritual". Furthermore, one can't search (full text) through
helpdesk requests, which is very important.

OTOH, if helpdesk people answer using their email client, which
does quoting and Cc'ing easy and includes full-text search, why
do I need OpenERP anyway in the context of helpdesk? Of course,
because other important things are missing, like the contacts,
or the possibility to enter requests received by phone.

But than we have to deal with two clients, the email user agent
(e.g. Thunderbird) and OpenERP web interface - but the two do
not work together. (The OE Thunderbird plugin used to work on a
very basic level and stopped working entirely in my setup since
some weeks.)

I'm not sure which way I shall go:

 - just understand, how email client and OpenERP are supposed
   to work together :~)

 - invest some time in solving at least some of the most
   pressing issues with email and helpdesk in OpenERP

 - moving to another request tracker, such as rt4 or otrs3 or
   Trac with email2trac, maybe integrate them with OpenERP

So this is my question: How are email client and OpenERP
supposed to work together? What is the recommended workflow?

TIA!