Re: Coding Guidlines - long lines

2013/11/22 Alexandre Fayolle <alexandre.fayolle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Wait until you age and have problems reading tiny weeny letters :-)
>
> Yes my code editor wraps lines. The result is not developer friendly,
> because the line breaking is not hand crafted and comes all over the place.
>
> 247 long lines are unmanageable, as your eyes are unable to find the
> beginning of the next line. There is a reason why newspaper print in
> columns and not in page-wide lines. By your argument, it would be easier
> for everyone since most article would only take up 1-5 lines.

TOTALLY agreed with you alex.

Just in my experience, when you must manage 5 consoles at same time, with
vim and other "Server" tools it is better less long lines.

I can live with 99 or 79 (we are using 99 internally) but 79 is fine.

but honestly at the end of the day, it is subjective, sometimes a longest
line should not stop a merge or can not be see it as "brake the rule" if it
help in readability.

Sometimes brake the line disturb readability too.... (but it is the
exception)

Regards.

--
--------------------