Re: Crowdfunding campaign for manufacturing modules

Hi everybody:

During last days, we have been speaking directly with several community
members and we have also received several advices about the migration of
OpenMRP to 7.0. We are very glad about all received feedbacks and valuable
opinions of any of them. Thank you all.

Now...
Most people that contacted us was asking to take in mind next WMS in V8
so... we have analysed a little bit the impact about going to 7.0 or
directly to 8.0, and here it is an small summary of our conclusions:

We have detected that there are 2 different groups of code: master data
logic and manufacturing order management logic.

About master data, standard mrp module conceptually has got almost all the
needed concepts, except operations table, that could be easily added.
That is, good manufacturing master data aproach should include following
objects, present by now in mrp and extended in OpenMRP 6.1

   - Factory (not present on standard, but not mandatory to exist)
   - Machines
   - Operations (not present on standard)
   - Operators
   - Routes
   - Boms associated to Routes.
   - Master data for cost control (related to machines, operators and
   materials)

About new WMS, we realized that THERE IS not any impact on master data, but
only on manufacturing order (MO) management, since stock moves are only
made on that object. The only point it could impact is on machines
location, but it will be present also in WMS for sure.

About going throgh V7 or V8, we think that this plan in 2 steps would be
the best one to jump into strong manufacturing solution:

1. Refactoring master data, improve usability, improve machine cost master
data and design multicompany covered solution, mantaining old stock move
aproach on MO for v7.
2. Master data structure would be then valid for V8, and we will make it
also compatible with new trunk adapting MO management for new quant aproach
on WMS.

This way, we can covered both versions inside the same campaign. I hope
this satisfies all of you that have doubts about the scalability of the
solution.

Regards.