Re: Version numbering

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Nhomar Hernández <nhomar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> About @raphael comment.
>
> IMHO when you distribute with __openep__.py is exactly the same complex
> need than with setup.py (change 1 line in one commit), because the version
> must be loaded "Manually" or written in some file "to get it from there to
> setup.py"

Yes, the number can be written in the __openerp__.py in first place and
then replicated to setup.py no problem.
Now, about the whole git subree extraction process, why does it matter at
all?
-> if you use the bzr revno as the minor number, as we group modules
together because we have no decent packaging (it's a vicious circle, you
see?), you'll have minor increment every time there is a commit, even a
commit that touch only other modules.
Just the same issue as http://assertive.io/blog/0-openerp-packages today.
Let's that that can be OK for a bootstrap installation, but that makes the
minor version useless then because it doesn't reflect if a module changes
or not.
On the contrary, if we first do some automated git subtree extraction
BEFORE putting the revision number as the minor version number in
__openerp__.py or setup.py, then it really reflects if the module changed
or not.

Now imagine an ideal world:
1) we slowly set that process of getting module packages automatically with
proper minor revision numbers.
2) THEN, this is terrific, WE DO HAVE A DECENT PACKAGING SYSTEM(assertive
or a an equivalent system) for deployment or development/tests
3) AS we do have that packaging system, we can finally do like any
successful modular system project do: we can start having modules being
developed in their own branches (no matter the forge, but git would make it
easier as it is where we get the minor number) because suddenly we don't
have issues to explicit a given modules works with this given set of
dependencies because we can finally pin them properly and get them
installed automatically without reinventing the wheel.

Am I the only one to see these 1) 2) and 3) steps as the only path to
productivity with OpenERP?

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant