Fwd: OpenERP CMS: How is server separation implemented?

Dear All,

speaking as someone who wants to use openERP to sell real physical products to scientists all over the world I am delighted that openERP have seized the webstore issue with both hands and are set to launch something that looks like it could have a major impact on the market. It is clear that much more than just embracing the latest framework technology (bootstrap) and pasting it on top of a basic webstore platform they have done some innovative fundamental thinking and come up with a genuinely intuitive way of editing the webstore content in situ.

Think about it for one minute - how much easier will it be for translators to translate your website into their language - now that they can see the text they are translating when they can see it in the proper context - rather than editing the content in a some file tucked away with a line like $checkout_error1="Please correct form entry". How much easier will it be to design and build dedicated landing pages for specific products ecommerce SEO. How much easier will it be to not have to worry about bidirectional syncing between back-office system and webstore - perhaps with systems that may be upgraded at different times and might require repeated connector fixes ?

The concerns that people have over security are exactly the same as any webstore that is processing credit card information - sure openERP will get more attention from hackers around the world, now that they are putting their heads above the webstore parapet, especially once they discover that that if they can figure out your admin password (eg admin/admin) then they get free reign to edit your webstore content straight away. I have no doubt that the guys in belgium have thought about this and will be introducing techniques to help secure your openERP installs - amongst these may be the following:

1) IP range restriction for admin access.
2) IP blocking once you do spot an obvious hack attempt
3) Possible secondary access password for admin edits
4) Ability to roll-back content to a particular date (should the worst happen.)

Am I alone in thinking that openERP's webstore functionality could position it even more strongly to take many of the 1000's of installs from plain'ol webstores like magneto and opencart.

Kurt

Dr Kurt Haselwimmer
Director

CMR-Direct
Willow House, 100 High Street, Somersham, PE28 3EH
Tel +44 (0) 845 899 0257  Fax +44 (0) 845 899 0259