Re: OpenERP and Business Intelligence

Hello,

I suggest not to go for pentaho, spago, saiku, or others. You should check
the branch of Antony, we developed nearly all features of current BI
software and it's already fully working.

I think the community should better concentrate to build apps in OpenERP
rather than trying to integrate with third party tools. Integration are
always painful, difficult to reuse from one project to another, ...
Developing a BI cube is just a few weeks of work (3 months for one
developer, less than 1000 lines of code). Today, OpenERP is so advanced
that developing a new app on OpenERP is usually easier than trying to
integrate with others applications. It's much more powerful and it's
maintainable over a long period of time.

We used to say internally that everything we develop that is not an OpenERP
module will probably die in a few years. We did the mistake to integrate
with SugarCRM, Alfresco, Ubercart, Webdav, CALDAV, Moodle. None of these
modules are still useable today.

With OpenERP, modules last if they are integrated, not if they are
interfaced. Search on the web, you will find plenty of integration with
Pentaho, SpagoBI, ... I bet that none of them are reusable on v7.

That's why I think you should rely on the work done on this branch:
trunk-new-graphview-ged (on http://runbot.openerp.com)

To test, go to any record (e.g. opportunities) and switch to the graph
view. Then, play with the cubes.

The future is going to be integrated, not interfaced...

Thanks,

Fabien