Re: [Merge] lp:~gdgellatly/openerp-product-attributes/partner-pricelist-7 into lp:openerp-product-attributes

Hi,

I think I need to clarify why this module is the way it is.  The only new functionality it introduces is to choose a customer, instead of having to select their pricelist, and also to jump to products with their pricelist selected (which nearly didn't make it).

That is all.

Displaying the pricing, computing the pricing, everything else is already included in the product module.  It merely addresses the use case of "Finding a customers pricing" in a far more user friendly way than core but in a very natural non intrusive way for the user.

I have kept it minimal, because in fact, I believe that this very small subset of functionality is an excellent candidate for core inclusion.  So hopefully this makes the below responses clearer.

In regards to performance concerns: This is not new functionality.  One may already select a pricelist in the product screen.  The performance is close enough to be considered identical and the module introduces no new performance issues.  At a list of 80 in dev it takes a second or two, however this is no different to selecting a pricelist.  Pricelist and the time it takes to return depends a lot on the depth of the product in the pricelist setup.

In regards to Kanban, it was not included (but was considered) because actually this module changes no existing view elements aside from adding one button on partner (which I nearly didn't, trying to make as minimal as possible), and mimicing pricelist on product search view.  Tried to keep as close to existing capability as possible, and if selecting pricelist does nothing on kanban, selecting customer does exactly the same, no surprises there.  If it is deemed necessary then by all means I'd put it in, but my question would be why it isn't there already.  My preference would be a seperate module, doesn't even need to depend on this one, it is just a view inheritance for existing core capability.

In regards to suppliers.  The reason I didn't include them was 2-fold. 1. I felt it would clutter the search box, as partners can be both a customer and supplier, and following from that felt that the existing pricelist functionality gave this capability.  The second reason is that, generally speaking a customer has a price for all products, a supplier generally does not, so often the information would be erroneous.  The 3rd reason is cost price already displays.  I guess to me it just made more sense to restrict to customer pricing, that was the use case.

In regards to Markus.  These are completely different modules.  The wizard you refer to relies on a user entering each product one by one in a wizard to get fairly specific information on a single product.  This module just uses default functionality, so user can view, one or 100 products at once with no need to click anything else.  So can compare stock, pricing etc across multiple products at once (although the module does not do this, it already exists, the module just makes the price part easier).  I'm sure both can coexist fine.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~gdgellatly/openerp-product-attributes/partner-pricelist-7/+merge/202985
Your team OpenERP Community is subscribed to branch lp:openerp-product-attributes.