Re: OCB branches, communitiy addons and tests

On mer. 19 mars 2014 08:41:49 CET, Nicolas Bessi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Due this bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/account-financial-report/+bug/1281579 we
> have some communitiy addons and MP that have green tests on OCB and
> red tests on official addons.
> That raises an interesting question, should community addons tests in
> priority been green against OCB branch, or official branches ?

My vision on this:

1. In the general case, developers should strive to get the tests green
on both branches (OCA and Official). People who have never heard of OCA
and OCB are using "community modules" downloaded from apps.openerp.com
and having them break when they use the official branches is not a good
experience you are giving them. The end user is certainly not aware of
this issue and he will face the crash. Options : work around the known
bug in the official addon (e.g. by monkey patching until the merge is
done...)

2. in the specific case mentionned above, another similar MP was
rejected by Raphael Collet
(https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-dev/openobject-addons/trunk-bug-924200-mdi/+merge/91058),
so I'm not sure merging the fix in the ocb addons branch was a good
idea, because it introduces a difference between both branches in the
demo data, and now we have red tests on the official branch, which will
make it hard to find when bugs are introduced in
account-financial-reports. I fear that the MP on the official branch
will never be considered or will be rejected and we will be stuck with
an awkward situation.

I'm interested to know it OpenERP SA's position has evolved since
Raphael's rejection of the MP.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet