Re: OCA LP Project migration to Github

Jean-Charles,

   Building up on your mail:

A) - OCA WOULD BE A GITHUB ORGANIZATIONS (...) WOULDN'T IT BE GOOD TO USE
ONE GITHUB ORGANIZATION PER GITHUB PROJECTS? THIS WOULD HAVE 2 BENEFITS:

   Agree on 1 OCA Organization.

   Github has Teams under an Organization.
   So we could just move LP Project Teams into GitHub teams.

   But here I propose a change:
   I believe that the concept of a (global) OCA Reviewer makes little sense.
   Collaboration on OCA projects should instead be centred on areas of
expertise.

   So, I propose to create a Team per Expertise Area, rather than for each
Project.
   These would be "maintainer" teams, rather than "reviewer".
   Maintainer have the last word on pull requests, but anyone can - and
should - review.
   Current team member should be invited for maintainer roles in the new
teams according to interests and expertise.

B) - OCA PROJECTS/APPS WOULD BE GITHUB PROJECTS

   I would rephrase that into "OCA Projects would be Github Repositories."
   I suggest to keep it simple for the migration: 1 LP repo -> 1 GH repo
   After the migration, the community would of course be free to discuss,
case by case, on splitting or joining repos (just like Odoo did).

C) - OCA MODULES WOULD GIT SUB- MODULES

   I would avoid sub-modules, at least for now.
   I see advantages in keeping closely related modules in the same repository:

   We need to acknowledge that technical module is not a functional module.
   A technical module is rather a "feature".
   An "app" is a core module complemented by a collection closely related
module implementing additional features.

D) - SERIES 7, 8, 9.. WOULD BE BRANCHES

Agree, just like in the core repos.

E) OCB(my addition)

   I believe this will be a fork of the official repo, maintained by a
Team under OCA.
   As I read from Stephan , rebase will greatly simplify keeping it in sync.

   Of course, comments are welcome.

   Regards
   /DR

   Quoting Jean-Charles Drubay <jcdrubay@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

It will be challenging to solve 2 issues at the same time in this thread:
   . what should be the source code organization in github
   . what should be the process to migrate

Also, here are my 2 cents for targeted source code organization from what I understand of Joel's mail:
   - OCA would be a Github organizations
   - OCA projects/apps would be Github projects
   - OCA modules would git sub- modules
   - series 7, 8, 9.. would be branches

Wouldn't it be good to use one Github organization per github projects? This would have 2 benefits:
   - no need to use submodules
   - better team  management

Apps will support github repos soon, see https://github.com/odoo/odoo/wiki/GitHub-Transition

Regards,