Re: OCA LP Project migration to Github

On 05/19/2014 10:32 AM, Lionel Sausin wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I know many are eager to change vcs but please give everyone time to
> insert this in their already too small timetables.
> Probably we at Numerigraphe will stick to Launchpad for as long as we
> can because use bzr all the way though to production servers. We can't
> afford to switch now.
> If you do migrate v7 to github, pleaseset up "upstream branches" on
> launchpad, this way LP will pull the new commits itself.
>
> Regarding v8, I don't understand how it's better to have a myriad of
> small unconnected repositories instead of one cleanly organized tree.
> If we instead merged all OCA projects into one branch like Odoo did,
> it would be easier for new contributers.
> I for one spent hours searching for which project had which module in
> Launchpad.
> OCA must eventually become a large code-base (linux-size large would
> not surprise me): does it help if we spread it all over the place?
>
> Some claim each OCA project has it's own very small community: but
> wasn't OCA about uniting?

Hi Lionel,

Yes, we are all one big happy family ;-) But I want to be able to
subscribe to topics that interest me and software that I deploy, so that
I can review and maintain the bug tracker and take advantage of the
knowledge sharing on those particular topics. Typically, that is the
case for many of us and that is what I meant by 'many projects have
their own small communities'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we
would lose that if we were to merge everything into one big project on
GitHub.
> And it won't be extra-addons again - that was a savage dump, and OCA
> is cleanly organized.
> Git wizards say it's easy to rebase the subtrees' staged unpulled
> remote into the master out-of-index sub-ether-spacial workflow, but
> for the rest of us, I beg you to make it simple.

Maybe the wizards can clarify if this system can be used to make all the
projects available in one big swoop, without the maintenance depending
on it.

Cheers,
Stefan.