Re: new api, v8 release

Hello,

if people remember correctly how it went for v7: is was "officially
released" on December 21th of 2012, the date announced 3 months before. But
then, during the first 4 months of v7,  during 2103, there have been A LOT
of bug fixes and very often some fixes had to be hacky for the whole
release life cycle just because of the "no schema change" dogma
(res.partner thing, anyone?).

So I would say, please let's don't be dogmatic about a release date. It's
bad to be 6 months late on release schedule (as it was for v7 initially
announced much earlier), but it's much better to be a little late and have
early adopter test deeply and report bugs and contribute fixes before
freezing things for 18 months. So please no pressure to release exactly on
date. Some good complex projects do 6 RC's before declaring something
stable and there is no magic, unless you have a test coverage of 100% with
very clear specifications (which we don't have), it's about the only way to
have something both "stable" and usable for later.

Also, in the future, I would love to see more loose coupling in the Odoo
components so that core stuff can have a stable slow release cycle (like
the server, the ORM, the API, the base module, even the account module...)
while innovative stuff like the web_* modules would have their chance to
evolve without freezing for 18 months in some immature state and without
either changing along with things that third parties (localizations,
verticals etc..) would expect stable enough to be sustainable both as a
business or as a final user.

Regards and kudo for v8 so far.

--
Raphaël Valyi