Re: Buildout recipe 1.8.5 is around the corner

Hello Georges,

Kudos for the work. A feature I was thinking about and I'm not sure you
would be interested in:
what about having at the workspace root a folder called "patches" with the
possibility to have one patch file per branch (parts). I prefer not having
the patch in the parts folder themselves as these folder could be
reconstructed from scratch and we don't want to put parts in the VCS (while
patches would be in the VCS).
I think we may need this at least for us for agility, kind of quick and
dirty patching until you have more time to investigate, because when
working for small companies, we aren't always in a situation where there is
always budget to do the clean thing in time and we should still get it
working, sometimes in a few minutes. So dirty but useful at least for us.

A chance you want that in the core? Do you think it's viable to get it as
an extension (any pointer?), so the idea would be that right after
converging a branch, the vcs provider would try to apply the patch if any.
We could think about plugin with tools like Quilt, but personally I prefer
something very simple. Quilt is great for a project like Debian that don't
easily have control of upstream projects, but now that we are on Github, it
reasonable to create a branch when you need it, but still quick and dirty
single patch might help for quick prototyping and sharing/deploying/testing
it.

What do you think?

--
Raphaël Valyi