Re: Ongoing developments on the attribute sets

Hi,

On 10/07/2013 09:39 AM, David Beal wrote:
Hi Guewen,

You're right, there is a difference between blueprint and our
implementation. It's because in our customer project there 'll have a
new magento with no data to import.

Though, I still do not understand what is the point of creating half of an attribute on OpenERP and then connecting on Magento to configure the other half. That is a useability issue that I would prefer to avoid. We took time in advance to find clean solutions and I am a bit sad to see that we are going in a way that I consider a bad and half-baked solution (and that we purposely chosed to dismiss during the discussions for the specifications!).

From what I remember of our discussions, we considered 2 solutions:
1. the one described in the specifications (import of Magento attributes and wizard to link them with the OpenERP ones) [0] 2. configuration of attributes in OpenERP, then exporting them in Magento with all the values (so we don't need to connect on Magento to complete the attribute).

We excluded the second solution because it seemed too heavy to develop so we chosed the first one. That's why I'm disappointed when I see a half-baked version of the solution 2 coming.

You may think I'm too picky or not enough pragmatic, the point is I want to avoid pitfalls we had in the previous connector with features doing half of the work, making think they are buggy.

Anyway, you are the guy doing the job and I'm still thankful for that. At worst, please clearly document how this works (in magentoerpconnect/doc and help tooltips).

[0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openerp-connector/+spec/product-attributes-integration-magento

In this case all datas will be managed in openerp. When a new project
will require importation (akretion project or other contribution), we'll
join all blueprint requirements.

David BEAL
www.akretion.com/fr <http://www.akretion.com/fr>
intégration OpenERP <http://www.openerp.com/community>
+33 (0)6 67 22 86 89

2013/10/7 Guewen Baconnier <guewen.baconnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:guewen.baconnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi,

    I just looked at the work in progress on the branch
    https://code.launchpad.net/~__akretion-team/openerp-__connector/connector-magento-__export-attributes
    <https://code.launchpad.net/~akretion-team/openerp-connector/connector-magento-export-attributes>

    Thanks for working on that David.

    If I understand correctly, the attributes can be created in OpenERP
    and are pushed to Magento. However, most of the configuration of the
    attributes still needs to be done on Magento (ll.117-153 of
    https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~__akretion-team/openerp-__connector/connector-magento-__export-attributes/revision/909
    <https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~akretion-team/openerp-connector/connector-magento-export-attributes/revision/909>__).

    What's the point of such a feature? I don't see much the value of
    being able to create an attribute from OpenERP if anyway I need to
    configure it on Magento afterwards. Do I miss something?

    This is not what has been discussed (by me and Sébastien) and
    written on the specifications blueprint here:
    https://blueprints.launchpad.__net/openerp-connector/+spec/__product-attributes-__integration-magento
    <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openerp-connector/+spec/product-attributes-integration-magento>
    where we stated that the most important thing was the ability to
    import them from Magento and bind them easily with the OpenERP
    attributes, are you going to implement this blueprint too?

    Thanks!

    --
    Guewen Baconnier
    Business Solutions Software Developer

    Camptocamp SA
    PSE A, CH-1015 Lausanne
    Phone: +41 21 619 10 39 <tel:%2B41%2021%20619%2010%2039>
    Office: +41 21 619 10 10 <tel:%2B41%2021%20619%2010%2010>
    http://www.camptocamp.com/

--
Guewen Baconnier
Business Solutions Software Developer