Re: Product Fiscal Classification module announcement, how useful to you is it?

Hi Raphael,

The ridiculously complex Brazilian tax code possibly have all corner cases in existence :)

About the rule engine, my suggestions:
I strongly suggest that it be a scriptable python snippet. It gives more flexibility because tax rules can get really nasty. An "item" browse object would be passed into context then the developer could navigate to get item detail, partner, order, company, etc.

The developer would return either
a) False or None, indicating the tax does not apply.
b) True, indicating that id does apply.
c) A decimal/float indicating it does apply but a different tax percentage should be applied

The last one is optional, since you could achieve the same behavior with another rule; still it makes life a bit easier.

Best regards,

Cloves

Raphaël Valyi escreveu:
Hello,

We are currently leading the Brazilian localization of OpenERP and we were missing a few things that are very important. Basically the Brazilian fiscality is rather complex: for instance a product may have 3 different kind of VAT all together and depending the state where you sale the product, one of those VAT ratio will switch between two values or more (and this is actually a lot more complex than that).

So we needed two things: 1) the need to easily generate for each product all those different sale/purchase taxes (letting the user enter every product tax manually was not an option and we would miss the fiscal classification in fiscal reports)

2) the need to easily filter the taxes that will actually apply to your specific sale/purchase. Actually every product get a lot of different base taxes (like 5/6 sale taxes, but half get nullified by the fiscal position applied. Is that a valid approach (we can just let the fiscal position switch a tax, because it's there are per product switch while the fiscal position is per order).

For 1) de developed a simple module called account_product_fiscal_classification Please read the details and screenshots here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=ajb639cjf9fb_15c8gxjqcq

For 2) we rely on the fiscal position feature of course, but we created a rule engine selecting the appropriate fiscal position depending on the user company and partner fields. But I'll talk about that one again later when it will be more polished.

So I would like to know your feedback about account_product_fiscal_classification Do you find it useful in your country? Do you have change suggestions? Does it make sense, as we thought to release it a generic module in trunk extra addons rather than just part of the Brazilian localization? For instance, in France where fiscality is simpler (yes I know that's tough to hear), I think installing this module is also an easy way to make sure product taxes are not forgotten by the people entering products and it can even help generating the few VAT taxes.
So what do you think?

Thank you for your feedback/suggestions.

Raphaël Valyi
http://www.akretion.com