Re: Floating point precisions, balanced entries and VAT included reflex

Accounting precision should not be hardcoded to "2". IIRC, the yen precision is "0". Someone could probably recall other currencies that such thing happens.

No floats are allowed in accounting. Debit must match Credit, Assets must match Liabilities, period.

Accounting differences should be written off. There should be a pre-configured "ROUNDING DIFFERENCES" expense account just for that.

Raphaël Valyi escreveu:
Hey Geoff,

2010/3/5 <geoff.gardiner@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:geoff.gardiner@xxxxxxxxx>>

    On , Raphaël Valyi <rvalyi@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rvalyi@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    > Two solutions are possible : ...
    > This is ok but I think solution 1) is simpler and would resolve
    the currency problem.

    An engineer might believe that but I think I am correct in saying
    that an accountant would not accept it. And I think that
    multicurrency is a different problem from accounting precision
    within a single currency.

    > I'm not sure if that would need to be done in the tax_included
    module only or generally. But it might be done this way always
    because as Sebastien explains it seems that there is an issue with
    VAT computation even if it doesn't show up as long as you stick
with 2 digit floating precision everywhere.
    I think I am correct in saying that whenever an amount is posted
    in the accounts, accountants require the value to be rounded to
    exact digits. So each individual line entry is rounded (as [2], I
    think).

    As I said yesterday, a qualified accountant in the UK told me that
    nobody will use a system that rounds floats for accounting entries
    - only fixed point arithmetic will do (and there is a fixed point
    module available for Python).

That's cool to see we then seem to agree on every points! (I commented too that I disagree with Sebastien that 1) would be better and suggest rounding too). This proves engineers can understand accountants eventually ;-). BTW, I commented on the blueprint too, I agree with your points.

    > What do you think about it? Does it demonstrate 4,61 and 6,34
    are irrational numbers just like Pi or sqrt(2) ?

    Accountants don't deal in irrational numbers! But OpenERP SA are
    already changing things to Decimal anyway, aren't they?

Iv'e seen nothing in that direction yet. I think Tryton made some steps in that direction (they started to use Decimal I think) but I'm not sure if that is for this specifically.

Raphaël Valyi
http://www.akretion.com