Re: [account_asset] improvement indications needed

On Wednesday 07 April 2010 20:38:02 Grzegorz Grzelak (Cirrus.pl) wrote:
> Hello I am working on account_asset improvement. I am rather rewriting
> it. It should be ready in one month for stable extra. Specification is
> mainly in:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openobject-addons/+spec/fixed-assets
>
> and relevant bug report.
>
> I have a big doubt about Time method.
>
> Question 1. Please answer if any country uses depreciation intervals
> like 12, 6, 3 or 2 month not synchronizing them with end of year? I
> mean: Is the country where you buy asset in September 2010, you choose
> depreciation interval one year or half year and depreciation posting is
> made in September 2011 or in March 2011?
>
> I see in english accounting guides (only I can read) that it is like in
> PL that even if you choose year or half year depreciation first
> depreciation posting is made in last period of the year (December or 4
> quarter). It seems it should be common.

In Austria we use 1/2 year or full year depreciation.
we distinguish between purchase date and and start date of operation - the
later is relevant for depreciation - this is especially important for complex
assets which consists of many separate assets.

the rule
start of operation during the first 6 month have 1 year  depreciation
start of operation during the last 6 month have  1/2 year depreciation
sale in the first 6 month 1/2 year
sale in the last 6 month full year

the depreciation is calculated as (remaining value) / (remaining years)
this allows to increase or decrease either the value or the remaining duration
if required. A major technical improvement would increase the value and/or the
duration of operation, technical obsolesce would decrease duration of
operation.

for some assets like cars we distinguish between commercial and fiscal
depreciation duration and purchase value .

On top of this IAS rules (I am not familiar in detail) apply.

please think of allocation of depreciation to analytic accounts.

We also found it useful to allow encoding of insurance and inventory numbers
as well as tracking of locations (warehouse, plant, workbench) where the
assets have been and currently are.

for cost/analytic accounting it is useful to split the yearly or 6 month
depreciation values between the relevant real periods.

for budgeting a depreciation forecast based on the current assets for up to 10
years is helpful.

assets analysis is done for commercial and fiscal values grouped by financial
accounts as well as analytic accounts / locations etc (task for olap ?)

we do asset accounting in full € - especially to save valuable space printing
multi column landscape reports.

differences between invoice lines and full € (Cents are cut off) are posted to
special accounts.

invoices may be grouped to "projects" which in turn are activated as 1 asset.
own workforce cost may be also part of the project and hence be activated.

sorry for being long ....

--
regards
Ferdinand Gassauer