Re: signing of pdf's

The brazilian electronic invoicing standard is monstrous not because of the technology choice, but because the legislation requirements are ridiculous.

It uses PKI certs for identity, HTTPS client authentication for secure communication, XMLSig for electronic signing, SOAP for messaging and XMLSchema to provide a data model. Remember the electronic invoicing project started back in 2004. The "lightweight" alternative (REST+JSON instead of SOAP+XML) was on it's infancy. Given the maze that is the Brazilian tax code, I think they did a good job.

Each state was free to implement the server it the way they wanted - I've seen it done in .NET, Axis, IBM WebSphere, JBoss. Besides the free government client implementation, I've seen a number of Delphi implementations (a popular language in Brazil).

However it's much easier to develop using JAXB or Axis - it generates the bulk of the object<->xml mappings. Reimplementing it is indeed not trivial and I don't really think it's need for OpenERP.

Cloves