Stock

Hi,

First let me introduce myself.
My Name is Wil Meijs, 50 years old, living in the Netherlands, holding a
bachelor degree in finance and currently hold the position of Controller
within a US based NASDAQ company.
In addition I work as a consultant for startup Biotechnology companies
and this is why I use OpenERP.

OpenERP is a great product for small startup companies and provides los
of functionality which I have been following since 2005 (then called
TinyERP) and also visited the OpenERP office in Belgium back in 2008.

The reason for joining your team is that I would like to share my
thoughts and ideas to improve the modules as I have built up extensive
knowledge and experience in the field of accounting and IT over the
years.

The first comment I would like to make is concerning stock management.
In my opinion stock management as it stands right now should be reviewed
as it's terminilogy is utterly confusing for financial experts and if
you have a look at the forums this will be confirmed by the number of
questions you see on this subject.

Let's start with product category:
Stock Input Account should be rephrased into 'Stock Purchase Offset
account' and Stock Output Account should be rephrased into 'Stock Sale
Offset account' with an explenation on the question mark indicating that
these accounts are being used for offsetting Goods to be received from
Suppliers and for Goods to be send to Customers based on Incoming
picking and Outgoing picking.
It should clearly mention Offsetting as this is what this really is.
It took me a lot of time to figure out how this worked and the present
terminilogy is simply not correct and misleading.

In addition Stock Location does not mention the fact that you can not
assign different Inventory accountnumbers from the GL to different
Product Categories.
Basically you can only use one Inventory account number but suppose you
would like to have a clear financial insight of the stock value of each
Product Category in your GL then I am afraid you are stuck since this is
not possible.
It should be explained under the ? that there is only one Inventory
account for Stock.
The improvement I would like to suggest is to make it possible to assign
different inventory accountnumbers to different Product Categories by
introducing a filed called eg Stock Balance account number in the
Product Category which the user can use to assign where all stock
movements should be posted.

That's all for now and I look forward to discuss this with somebody from
your team.

Regards,

Wil
--