Re: [account_fixed_assets] Fixed Assets Mgmt module - partner needed?

On 08. 05. 11 12:51, paulino1@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I don't think it's very important, considering that one can get
> partner from invoice or from account_move_line. If you want a module
> for accounting puposes only, then it's useless.
i agree. from a pure accounting pov
> If you thonk of a full fixed asset management module, then it could be
> usefull to track the partner that gave asset's warranty or will do
> it's maintenance.
i also agree :-) i would say this is not in scope for the time being.
however, a full fledged FAM could deal with asset management beyond
accounting. we should brainstorm a bit on this, but i foresee some
complications, as each asset type (property (land, buildings) equipment
(machines, cars, PC, and so on) has a rather different way of managing,
and i am afraid of an overkill.

maybe some kind of sub-module, or a dependent module would be wiser.

this raises a more profound question: is there a need to "link" FA
accounting to FA management, beyond retrieving the basic info? (id,
name, &c.). i know that it is me who named the wiki FA Management, but I
did not have in mind this management...

what i mean, a "car_fleet_admin module" or a "PC admin" module or a
"rent" module or whatever, could even be totally independent.  they
could also just import some data from FA (it would be more efficient,
less error prone) or to "link" to the FA module in some way (thus
becoming dependend of the FA module)

> Once the subject is asset table fields, I think that product_id is
> even less usefull than partner_id, completely useless in my opinion.
i will investigate

> And the account's fiels:
>
>     * account_asset_id - Fixed Asset Account - integer,
>     * account_depr_id - Depreciation Account - integer,
>     * account_expense_id - Depreciation Expense Account,
>
> would be better in asset_category table than in asset_asset table.
> Actually these fields are present in asset_category, so they are
> redundant in asset_asset.

well, the main reason for this is historic (i added them to categories
to answer my logic) but I would say that you could see the categories as
some master or template. that the asset could be changed, if a specific
need comes up (maybe this is just theoretical, to be discussed).

right now, when you decide that some product (while creating a invoice)
shall be a FA, you select a category; this in turn will provide the
default values for the asset. then you  go check and adapt if needed.

> Thanks
>
> Paulino

thank you,