Re: OFX/CSV Bank statements

Hello guys,

a few considerations:
we have experience with SEPA bank exports in France. Alexis de Lattre, tried
to use th banking framework. The expected conclusion was that:

   - for file generation it helps little as it's essentially custom logic
   and custom templating involved.
   - It could help for parsing file, may be.

But, as for parsing files, at Akretion we tend do that extensively using the
Kettle ETL along with the "TerminatOOOR" technology. With the latest changes
we made in the kettle_connector module, integration with OpenERP is awesome.
the benefits are:

   - lot's of bullet-proof, documented file and parsing tools
   - even a trainee can customize a import or export. Compare this to the
   hacking expertise required to develop OpenERP modules... This is due to
   documented standard tools from Kettle and the OOOR API that is much cleaner
   and intuitive than the OpenERP one.
   - despite all the standard tools, total flexibility is still possible via
   the Ruby step if required
   - error management is straightforward and long term logging is efficient
   - you get incredible network interoperability, for instance all the
   following is achieved thanks to the integrated Apache VFS:
   http://wiki.apache.org/commons/VfsCapabilitiesMatrix
   http://commons.apache.org/vfs/filesystems.html  So importing the files or
   exporting the files anywhere is just a snap.

Hopefully we soon get enough time to document that technology better. Our 18
months old video doesn't make the cut obviously.

Vinicius,
for the Brazilian boletos specifically, our proposal is we generate them
right inside OpenERP first so that it's easy for people to have something
running where quasi-standards can be achieved. Not sure if the banking
framework will help here or not, that should be studied. But I'm not very
sure. Let's try to get in touch, we need to start this very soon as well.
As for the bank file importation, on our side, we are likely to privilege
the Kettle ETL as it will allow better system automation for our customer
projects.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant