Check writing - Account which is not a payable

I'm looking for some feedback on this requirement within OpenERP.  We are
using 6.0.3 currently so maybe this has been updated in 6.1?

As I see it when you use Accounting>Bank and Cash>Write Checks the account
must be a payable account in order to write a check.

I have several customers who would prefer to write a check to an expense
account without having to create an invoice first.

I'm wondering about the reason for this requirement and if there is a way
around it (besides making the expense accounts a type of payable).

Any input is appreciated.

--
Laurie Chrostowski
Business Analyst