Re: Openerp accounting constraints module -> ideas?

I think the idea is good, but would like to see it configurable at a Global
and Journal/View/Account/Account type level (which ever is appropriate) by
a new security group.  Just a screen of checkboxes basically.  Different
countries and different companies have different requirements.  OpenERP's
flexibility in structuring charts and restructuring them is an important
feature to us.

I don't see any issue with changing account codes for example.  Certainly
in our jursidiction there is nothing to forbid it.  In fact this creates an
ugly situation when you have legitimate reasons to rename, and surely if
you enforce that you cannot change account code, then you must do the same
for name, account type and internal type.  Code is more meaningless than
the others.
Equally in Bank Journals there are lots of cases for manual entry - mostly
because if you use account_voucher and reconcile bank statements you cannot
also use the bank statement entry screen, so some things must be manually
entered.
Having a date different to the period - personally I don't see a use case,
but clearly OpenERP had a rationale for allowing it, I would like to
understand what that is.
account_cancel allows cancelling invoices which deletes journal entries -
I'm not saying it is a good idea, but sometimes mistakes are made and it is
good to be able to change them without credit and reinvoice.

But other validation I would like to see.
Validation that the invoice total is the same as the journal payable entry
- often they differ by 1 cent after anglo_saxon calculations on the
payables side.

Also I have to disagree with James.  Lack of confidence as a reliable
accounting system is IMHO more related to consistent bugs/unexpected
entries/poor calculations/lack of consistency in relation to automated
entries, not validation, and not manual entries.  It is precisely this
reason that until those issues are well and truly dealt with in a robust
manner I wouldn't want to lose the ability to correct things (and lets face
it, OpenERP SA seems uninterested in core functionality improvements -
Fabien in February - "We will plan a project to review the whole logic some
day" - in relation to persistent average cost errors).  I guess some day is
not here yet.

Creating manual invoices from sales order lines does not apply taxes. - why
even it should be an entirely different function than the other ones I do
not understand - we amended just to call existing invoice logic and it
works fine.
Shipping goods directly from Supplier to customer creates no entries, but
corresponding invoice creates the wrong ones.
Manual invoices apply default taxes, sales orders do not even when they are
identical.
Average cost entries are all wrong unless you use a decimal precision the
same as the currency - sorry fixed now in 6.1.
Average cost is recalculated using stock move prices even when you don't
receive any goods.
Decimal precision as a whole is fairly well broken.

There are so many options and choices in creating automated entries, that
all follow different paths, that IMO it is almost easier to get them wrong
there than in the accounting part.