Inquiry about Partner has_something_to_reconcile

Dear all,

I'm curious about the reasoning behind the implementation of has_something_to_reconcile method that is introduced in revision 7518 of OpenERP 7.0 addons. What I have found from the available code is that it is used to check whether or not to update last_reconciliation_date which is in turn used to in account.move.line's default search if *Next Partner to Reconcile* filter is turned on and in the *Reconciliation: Go to Next Partner* wizard. Are these the "only" use of last_reconciliation_date field?

has_something_to_reconcilemethod, that is checked before updating last_reconciliation_date, only checks for open account.move.lines that is dated after last_reconciliation_date and hence ignores back-dated entries. Is this intended behaviour? Are there reason behind this?

If I were to drop the has_something_to_reconcile check, because it is actually quite an expensive query if you are considering a company with a single major customer/supplier and hence most of the account.move.lines are linked to that customer/supplier, would it affect the overall accounting flow?

Thank you,
- Ivan Wirawan