Re: User's documentation

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 02:55:25 Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> A Dimecres, 9 de desembre de 2009, Albert Cervera i Areny va escriure:
> > Here's a proposal I made some time ago. Given that now there's a
> > framework expert's group, here's my second try:
>
> After some discussions there seemed to be an agreement (at least nobody
> objected) that at least a new documentation framework would be nice. I have
> implemented a first (early) draft and wanted to share what I have to
>  receive your feedback. With draft, I mean, that inheritance doesn't work,
>  for example.
>
> Note that it will require latest Koo revision (from bazaar) because I added
> the possibility of rendering web content from a field value (instead of
> considering field's value as the URL). Of course, using Koo wouldn't be a
> requirement for the final framework but using it was simply easier for me.
>
> Attached you can find the module (documentation.zip) and several
>  screenshots which I explain below:
>
> As you can see I thought of using a tree like structure, take a look at
> index.png, for example.
>
> In image form2.png you can see the basic paragraph form, containing the
> information of the main documetation title. In image form3.png you can see
>  how the current paragraph is rendered (on the left) and the rendering of
>  the same element plus the rest of its children (on the right).
>
> As you can see, images can also be included in documentation, you can see
>  how in form4.png. If the paragraph contains the special tags "<field/>" or
>  "<view/>" like in form1.png, it will be automatically parsed and
>  references to fields and views added as seen in form5.png.
>
> So far, I see advantages and disadvantages with the current aproach.
>  Although it's true that it's possible to use OpenERP to create the
>  documentation, it's also true that it's a bit slow to create each record,
>  specially for "title", "section", etc. (which don't have a lot of text).
>  Though, that might be easily solved making the list editable.
>
> The other problem I see is that if inheritance is done at "paragraph
>  level", it'd be hard to add a new entry when there's a list of options.
>  Documentation writers would be forced to repeat all options. Not sure if
>  that would be very frequent or a grave problem, though.
>
> I think we won't need title, section, subsection as I've implemented.
>  Probably it'd be enough to keep only "title", and text size should change
>  depending on it's depth in the index.
>
> Once implemented, it'd should be pretty easy to create new backends, so we
> could extract documentation to latex, docbook or directly to any reporting
> engine to create PDF documents.
>
> It also occurred to me that'd be also interesting to let users add their
>  own comments, so they could add annotations they would see each time they
>  "ask for help".
>
> Comments? Suggestions?

Easy Integration of (OpenERP) wiki (it offers "history") or other existing
documentation (word/excel/pdf/..  img is solved)
I do not know if this system is easy enough for (end) users to document the
companies work flow. I always see people taking notes on paper ....

How will the document system be accessed from the forms and especially
from/for reports (menu items)?

is the web widget compatible with GTK/WEB Client ?
at least it does not display OpenERP wiki as WEB content

--
regards
Ferdinand Gassauer