Re: User's documentation

A Dimarts, 15 de desembre de 2009, Ferdinand Gassauer va escriure:
> [...]
> > > framework expert's group, here's my second try:
> >
> > After some discussions there seemed to be an agreement (at least nobody
> > objected) that at least a new documentation framework would be nice. I
> > have implemented a first (early) draft and wanted to share what I have to
> > receive your feedback. With draft, I mean, that inheritance doesn't work,
> > for example.
> >
> > Note that it will require latest Koo revision (from bazaar) because I
> > added the possibility of rendering web content from a field value
> > (instead of considering field's value as the URL). Of course, using Koo
> > wouldn't be a requirement for the final framework but using it was simply
> > easier for me.
> >
> > Attached you can find the module (documentation.zip) and several
> >  screenshots which I explain below:
> >
> > As you can see I thought of using a tree like structure, take a look at
> > index.png, for example.
> >
> > In image form2.png you can see the basic paragraph form, containing the
> > information of the main documetation title. In image form3.png you can
> > see how the current paragraph is rendered (on the left) and the rendering
> > of the same element plus the rest of its children (on the right).
> >
> > As you can see, images can also be included in documentation, you can see
> >  how in form4.png. If the paragraph contains the special tags "<field/>"
> > or "<view/>" like in form1.png, it will be automatically parsed and
> > references to fields and views added as seen in form5.png.
> >
> > So far, I see advantages and disadvantages with the current aproach.
> >  Although it's true that it's possible to use OpenERP to create the
> >  documentation, it's also true that it's a bit slow to create each
> > record, specially for "title", "section", etc. (which don't have a lot of
> > text). Though, that might be easily solved making the list editable.
> >
> > The other problem I see is that if inheritance is done at "paragraph
> >  level", it'd be hard to add a new entry when there's a list of options.
> >  Documentation writers would be forced to repeat all options. Not sure if
> >  that would be very frequent or a grave problem, though.
> >
> > I think we won't need title, section, subsection as I've implemented.
> >  Probably it'd be enough to keep only "title", and text size should
> > change depending on it's depth in the index.
> >
> > Once implemented, it'd should be pretty easy to create new backends, so
> > we could extract documentation to latex, docbook or directly to any
> > reporting engine to create PDF documents.
> >
> > It also occurred to me that'd be also interesting to let users add their
> >  own comments, so they could add annotations they would see each time
> > they "ask for help".
> >
> > Comments? Suggestions?
>
> Easy Integration of (OpenERP) wiki (it offers "history") or other existing
> documentation (word/excel/pdf/..  img is solved)
> I do not know if this system is easy enough for (end) users to document the
> companies work flow. I always see people taking notes on paper ....

User's notes, wouldn't necessarily use this. Maybe with just a text field it'd
be enough for them...

Anyway, does wiki work properly on GTK client? (I mean with images, and so
on?)

> How will the document system be accessed from the forms and especially
> from/for reports (menu items)?

I'd:
- Add a "Manual" entry into help menu which goes to the HTML generated manual.
- Add a "Context Help" entry into help menu which opens all menu sections
which refer to the current view. Maybe, it could also go to all places where
the model is referenced?
- You may right-click (or something like that) in a field and go to all places
in the doc where the field is referenced.

> is the web widget compatible with GTK/WEB Client ?

As I said, this is not the issue now. We'll make the rendered content work in
a way or another.

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com