order#company_id field in OpenERP v6, redundant data?

Hello guys,

As part of the native multi-companies support, in OpenERP v6, the sale.order
object now has a company_id field.
The trouble is that this is somewhat redundant with the existing mandatory
shop_id field which also determine a company_id field (a shop belongs to a
company).

Isn't that redundant?
If not which one is supposed to be predominant (supposing they can be
different then) for the picking? For the invoice company_id?
Supposing the redundancy is assumed (then in theory it sucks), wouldn't we
need a constraint then for the two company_id field point to the same
company id?
Wouldn't it be possible to define a related field through the shop_id
instead to remove the redundancy?

My understanding is that OpenERP is generalizing the company_id field in a
tacit contract so that access rules on companies can be generalized.
However, I'm not sure if it's done properly for the sale.order object
currently.

I'm asking that while I try to provide a proper patch for
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/626861 (even worse: the company for the
subsequent picking/invoice is taken
from the currently logged user in context no matter what the two other
company_id fields are; similar issues may exist at other places)
as I'm testing the v6 multi-companies features for a customer.

Thank you for your comments.

Raphaël Valyi
Founder and ERP Consultant
+55 21 3010 9965