do we really need lp:openobject-addons/extra-6.0 and lp:openobject-addons/extra-trunk ? IMHO: NO

Dear OpenERP SA and framework experts,

I tend to think this is already very hard for civilian users to find out the
extra addons modules. We have folks trying to install Magento connector
dependency modules for v5 on OpenERP v6 almost weekly...
Yes there is the Loempia project (where BTW?), but it's still not here and
unless it's tightly integrated with bzr, it will be useless for real life
deployments of those extra addons.

So a few days ago OpenERP SA splitted the extra-addons into:
lp:openobject-addons/extra-6.0 and lp:openobject-addons/extra-trunk

IMHO this has no practical use today and it only adds up to the confusion,
even amongst the developers here.
Who will figure out if the multi-variant module is maintained on trunk
rather than 6-0? This is even more true that unless developers get aware of
the 6.0 branch (there were no official communication about that), people
like me continued to to simply commit on extra-addons trunk... Imagine the
discrepancy when users will start getting the 6.0 branch and reporting
bugs...

My proposal: please drop the 6.0 snapshot and remerge eventual changes back
to extra-trunk.

Let's just use extra-trunk for a few months. It's very unlikely that people
work on modules that will require things that are on OpenERP trunk rather
than 6.0 in the next say 3 months.
If ever it happens, then, as those modules will target and alien geek
audience, I just suggest those modules simply explicit that in their
meta-info or even go outside from the extra addons if they are complex.
If you follow my proposal, we can win some 3 months of extra-addons decent
visibility, may be enough to wait Loempia maturity for the end
users/developers.
Also, closer to the 6.1 release it will make more sense people start
requiring things from trunk in the extra addons.
For the addons and server packages, I think you can keep the trunk/6.0
distinction as people will want to stick to stable things for now while
OpenERP SA might want to work on next versions, so this is less annoying.

What do you think?

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant