Re: OpenERP server available as a Python module

That's a very very cool improvement. I don't work these days with
OpenERP but, since i'll be able to use it as a library, i may be more
and more open to integrate it with our web solutions, using Django or
Pyramid.

I'm very surprised by the way, when i was proposing a re-architecture
of OpenERP, one year ago, i was feeling a little bit alone, and a bit
anxious to know what would be the response of the team. Finally I
discovered that my propositions were taken very seriously.

I'm curious to know what is the plan about the backward compatibility,
do you planifie something like a roadmap of deprecation ? Maintaining
2 different types of architecture in the same source code may not be
very easy in the future.

I may have a couple of other propositions to increase the quality of the code:

- There is many things in the setup.py, many lines of code that i feel
are pretty much useless, just a way to keep a backward compatibility
with the old distutils taking out these things might be great, by
example the "def data_files():" method is kind of useless since
setuptools is offering all you need achieve that.

-  All "executable" in the bin folders might be generated
automatically using the entry points and the console-script feature,
whouldn't be a great idea to generate these things automatically at
installation ?

- Is there a plan to develop a new way to deal with addons ? Right
now, the openerp server just need to check into the addons folder but
again, using entry points and eggs, it might be more robust and it
would safer.

- I'm curious about the backward compatibility, is there a way to test
automatically if current existing addons can continue to, I might be
interested to help cleaning up the architecture but i'm very scared to
hack something that might break something.

I'll check more carefully the source of the latest trunk version, i
may have more comments and propositions very soon, is it the best
place to post any comments and propositions ?

Mathieu Leduc-Hamel