Re: status of 6.1 or 7 ?

2011/10/1 Nhomar Hernández <nhomar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 2011/10/1 Ovnicraft <ovnicraft@xxxxxxxxx>
>

>> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Antony Lesuisse <al@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Status of trunk
>>> ===============
>>>
>>> Almost everything we wanted in trunk is now merged, last merges:
>>>
>>> - wsgi, and xmlrpc-compliance
>>> - server fully stateless no osv memory anymore
>>> - new more accurate cron implementation
>>> - ir_sequence no_gap and gap mode inspired by openlabs module
>>> - many cleanups and refactoring
>>>
>>> we still need to merge:
>>>
>>> - edi
>>> - dynamic base_setup using ir.module introspection
>>> - cleanups of config wizards
>>>
>>> The new web frontend is now feature full, but there are quite a few bugs
>>> remainings. And since it is running in openerp-server it feel much more
>>> responsive.
>>>
>>> Feel free to play with it on runbot.openerp.com
>>>
>>> Next week we will focus on openerp-web bug fixing and handling the
>>> remaining merge proposals on addons and server:
>>>
>>> addons: 110 merge prop to process.
>>> server: 17 merge prop to process.
>>>
>>> I'm working on the packaging and we plan to release a rc1 monday
>>> 2010-10-10.
>>>
>>> Improving our feedback on merge prop
>>> ==============================**======
>>>
>>> Last release we cleared our launchpad bug backlog and, since that time,
>>> bugs are processed on a daily basis, the process is fully under control. For
>>> this release we want to do the same with merge proposals. Clearing the
>>> backlog and then processing them in a timely manner. Processing new merge
>>> proposals will have a higher priority than our own developements so you can
>>> expect quick answers on your contributions. Of course processing != merging
>>> it just means giving an appropriate feedback.
>>>
>>> Version numbering
>>> =================
>>>
>>> About version numbering what about switching to this:
>>>
>>> 6.0 -> 6 LTS
>>> 6.1 -> 7
>>> 6.2 -> 8
>>> 7.0 -> 9 LTS
>>>
>>> with stable releases:
>>>
>>> 6.0.1 -> 6.1 LTS
>>> 6.0.2 -> 6.2 LTS
>>> 6.1.1 -> 7.1
>>> 6.1.2 -> 7.2
>>>

>> Policy release in OpenERP is each 6 months and one year but this never
>> happens (obviously reasons), always we get a release each 8 or 9 months.
>>
>> Can you ensure will be at least each 7 months we get a release? or what ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> IMHO.
>
> The release shuld be 1 per year, with the RCX per month (RC1 - RC2 - RC3)
> to work in migration of localizations and community merge proposals for 4
> month, stop merge proposals, Correct last bugs by a month and release ever
> 12 months.
>
> We need for at least 1 more year al lot of stabilization process for
> business models inside OpenERP, I think should be more responsible do it in
> this way.
>

> Pros:
>
> Time enought to understand new changes.

Well this must happens while trunk is under development.
Time to get work modules is important but stay tuned in project with stable
and trunk is important too, this gives the changes to make it better and
must important thing more really active people in project, i consider there
is 2 type:

Who download each stable release and use it.
Who branch the software stable and trunk and works with both.

We know how project is fixing too slow bugs and get release each 6 moths
will give us a better product.

Regards,

Time Enought to upgrade important community modules.

--
Cristian Salamea
@ovnicraft