status of 6.1 or 7 ?

Status of trunk
===============

Almost everything we wanted in trunk is now merged, last merges:

- wsgi, and xmlrpc-compliance
- server fully stateless no osv memory anymore
- new more accurate cron implementation
- ir_sequence no_gap and gap mode inspired by openlabs module
- many cleanups and refactoring

we still need to merge:

- edi
- dynamic base_setup using ir.module introspection
- cleanups of config wizards

The new web frontend is now feature full, but there are quite a few bugs remainings. And since it is running in openerp-server it feel much more responsive.

Feel free to play with it on runbot.openerp.com

Next week we will focus on openerp-web bug fixing and handling the remaining merge proposals on addons and server:

addons: 110 merge prop to process.
server: 17 merge prop to process.

I'm working on the packaging and we plan to release a rc1 monday 2010-10-10.

Improving our feedback on merge prop
====================================

Last release we cleared our launchpad bug backlog and, since that time, bugs are processed on a daily basis, the process is fully under control. For this release we want to do the same with merge proposals. Clearing the backlog and then processing them in a timely manner. Processing new merge proposals will have a higher priority than our own developements so you can expect quick answers on your contributions. Of course processing != merging it just means giving an appropriate feedback.

Version numbering
=================

About version numbering what about switching to this:

6.0 -> 6 LTS
6.1 -> 7
6.2 -> 8
7.0 -> 9 LTS

with stable releases:

6.0.1 -> 6.1 LTS
6.0.2 -> 6.2 LTS
6.1.1 -> 7.1
6.1.2 -> 7.2

pro:

It's fashionable these days (firefox, chrome, windows) actually less(1) is using this kind version numbering since 1983.

Simplier. less dimensions 2 instead of 3.

LTS is now a tag every 3 releases clearly indicated "n LTS" where before *.0.* had the same obfuscated meaning.

con:

Changing again.

Follow ups