Open letter for Client API specification.

Hi all,

I'd like a moment of your time to consider some issues I've been bumping
into lately, the difference between the current clients available for
OpenERP.
Some of you might not have bumped into serious issues when you are coding
for either the web- or GTK client alone but there are actually quite a few
differences in the implementation of these clients.

I've just recently addressed one such difference with OpenERP SA and would
like to take this opportunity to show why exactly the community needs a
fixed API specification.

Here's a link to a video showing exactly how the client behavior differs
today in 6.1 series in a (although harmless) but decisively different
manner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGe_3HdXIc&hd=1

I've also isolated this problem with a small module which is available for
download here: (OpenERP 6.1 required)
http://ubuntuone.com/5UZxt8VF4XQOYmmjPBnXbH

*The technical issue (in a nutshell) is this:*
Do we expect the client to call the on_change event for every field that
was changed?
(a) by the user
(b) by the return value from another on_change function called

Currently in 6.1 the web-client does both (a) and (b) cases. The GTK client
however only does this for the (a) case.

The point I'm trying to make here is that this behavior is currently
unspecified and not conclusively specified anywhere and is something we
should address as remote interaction with OpenERP will become an ever
increasing important part if OpenERP wishes to profile itself as a modern
day software component able to be extended and remotely controlled by one
uniform API.

Hoping to start a productive discussion,
Niels Huylebroeck
Lead Architect   --   Agaplan
Web : http://www.agaplan.eu

(If there are duplicates of this message due to some misconfiguration on my
side, please ignore everything but the first mail)

Follow ups