Re: Making our way out from the bloated extra-addons repository

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Joël Grand-Guillaume <
joel.grandguillaume@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello again,
>

> In the same topic, it'll be great to have a common naming convention for
> all those branches what do you think ? I would suggest to have one branch
> per OpenERP version that will be easily recognizable, with the following
> naming:
>
> Name-Of-Project/OpenERP Version
>
> Like :
>
> lp:c2c-financial-addons/7.0
> lp:c2c-financial-addons/6.1
>
> Are you ok with this ?

Hello Joêl,

Well basically yes. More precisely:

   - branches that really have a significant topic can go inside a project
   and get a bug tracker, a mailing list and all what LP offers.
   - because of historical reasons (like extra-addons, in-house modules of
   Company X...), there will likely be several branches in the same topic:
   like extra-financial-addons and c2c-financial-addons. Eventually these
   branches get merged in the future, but let's move one step at a time
   instead of claiming upfront perfection and doing nothing
   - inside these projects, there will be Launchpad series reflecting
   OpenERP versions
   - these branches will be registered at apps.openerp;com to make OpenERP
   SA happy
   - while this is extremely hard to tolerate some unskilled middle men
   unable to win money by their own work now trade money to fraud open source
   reputation over our back, I still hope our community work don't collapse
   under the mean paranoia to name modules or projects after the initial
   company who started it. Remember Magentoerpconnect started at Smile and
   called smile_magento_connector. The history changed, they stopped
   maintaining it and it took a rewrite from scratch to build a company
   agnostic module name. Hopefully collaboration wins over fragmentation, but
   this depends on all of us. Now, yes at Akretion we have
   been friendly enough for not putting our company name in every single
   module we develop but still got nearly rapped by those motherfucker
   middlemen. So in any case I understand the issue, but my message is fight
   the middlemen and try to keep collaborating, make code authors explicit,
   educate the community.
   - at Akretion we are likely to mirror these branches on Github and use
   Travis-CI to get them automatically tested at every commit. Again, as I
   explained in a previous thread, OpenERP SA didn't convince us at all they
   take module dependencies and lifecycle seriously enough (what they proposed
   doesn't match what we do and we are among the few making a living from
   integration OpenERP...) so this and the need to be able to apply and test
   suite (and test suite technology) top any branch (so with any dependencies)
   justifies IMHO looking at Travis-CI for automatic testing of community
   branches (instead of waiting OpenERP 12 to get some notion of version
   dependencies).
   - at first we will use Github mirroring only for testing and possibly
   for deployment (despite all the doc, merging a stacked branch after 2
   months is still painfully slow, but we need to do that for every single
   customer). But eventually we may reverse the situation for a few very
   active branches and develop on Github while mirroring on Launchpad to make
   grandma style developers happy.

I'll be doing the proposed module extraction today and will report how it
worked.

Regards,

--
Raphaël Valyi