Re: Making our way out from the bloated extra-addons repository

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Carlos Liébana <
carlos.liebana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I agree with Raphaël proposal and with your naming convention, but I think
> that the main problem is that we strongly need a website where we could
> avoid the actual "mess" of apps.openerp.com that indirectly is coming
> from the branches mess... It's something that I pointed out 2 years ago
> https://lists.launchpad.net/openerp-community/msg00084.html with focus in
> local communities, but that can be extendable to some kind evaluation of
> modules website like http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/
>
> So, altough I agree, I think that:
>
> - There should be a unique community branch, mirroring the top quality
> modules available wherever they are. If the development of one particular
> module is discontinued, community should take care of it.
> - To be part of those top modules, there should be some internal rules to
> be accomplisehd: quality of code, interest for the community, testing
> scenarios...
>
> But, maybe it's just my opinion.
>
> PS: BTW, no local communities where added in OpenERP SA website as stated
> in Olivier mail.

Hello Carlos,

i think there are two topics here:

   1. develop the modules, make them work, maintain them -> this is what I
   was talking about
   2. once things are a bit mature: package, present to the end user, do
   quality filtering...

I think we need 1) to be able to do 2). So I was talking about 1) here. 2)
can be achieved later partially using apps.openerp.com, using packages,
using many other tools, new branches if you like.

IMHO this is also the big thing I disagree with SA vision:
I think modules development and dependencies should obey battle hardened
standards and the end user presentation layer or final packaging could be
anything that use that standard layer.
To me apps.openerp.com would better have be something like
https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/ is to http://rubygems.org/ but may be built
using pypi to make Python fanboys happy (notice that there is no reason
your package manager to be written in the same language as your
application. apt-get is used to install packages written in many languages
for instance. Just use the best tool for the job IMHO.
But I mean at least using a standard instead of putting the painting before
building the engine as is apps.openerp.com today and for
the foreseeable future.

Any any case, let's move one step at a time: so let's first move our way
out of the extra-addons hell.

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi