Re: Making our way out from the bloated extra-addons repository

Hi Raphael

On 11/01/2012 06:30 PM, Raphael Valyi wrote:
Then we are left with manually enforcing the proper dependencies branches in installation recipes at such as Anybox recipes (at Akretion or CampToCamp from what I know our experienced made us use even more complex deployment strategies).
You're right, that's manual, but keeping track of unreleased stuff brings a bit more complicated. You can't have version numbers in branches. Note that I'd be against version requirements, mind you : they obviously make things tighter in any case.
But IMHO in any case it sucks to have to manually write a particular recipe for any module combo you want.
Just for the sake of clarity, I know you're not making that confusion, but your spelling of it is a bit confusing. There's no need to make a recipe per combo, rather a configuration reflecting that combo for the recipe that's already there.

Dependencies management usually fixes that for us, and no this is not rocket science.

Notice that recipes for automated testing are still pretty human to write for use developers (not for the end users, that's the point). For instance, this is close to all what is needed to test all OpenERP official addons with the standard test suite at every commit on the Github mirror:
https://github.com/rvalyi/openerp-addons/blob/master/.travis.yml
Yup, that's the equivalent of one buildbout.cfg, together with an installation script. The thing is, we did some kind of separation between that installation script and the sources it has to fetch.

Regards,