Re: fields.decimal

On 08/16/2013 11:14 AM, Joël Grand-Guillaume wrote:
> No hints on it, but I'm clearly in favor of implementing a "true"
> field.decimal in the core, thanks for the initiative !

(back from a week-long leave, and could not find time to send this for
another week)

Thanks for the support, Joël !

I'm not sure what you mean with "true" in that context.

At this point, I do have a working implementation of a 'fields.decimal',
with web counterpart. The core field itself is trivial, as you may
expect. For now, it's at
https://bitbucket.org/anybox/anybox.openerp.fields, if you're curious.
This is a Python distribution (with setup.py etc). I'm considering
repackaging as an addon, but I should check various upgrade scenarios
first to be sure that a before-hand import is not needed.

One thing that should be underlined is that the standard OpenObject
server has some form of support for the ``numeric`` PostgreSQL columns
and even creates some, but makes Psycopg2 cast everything into float.
Changing that behaviour will affect the server globally, even if the
decimal field is imported just once.
Currently, in "base" addons, only ``res.currency`` would be impacted by
the change.

JSON and XML RPCs are supported by serialization as strings. This is
good enough for basic user interaction.

The web field is not pushed yet and needs proper packaging as an addon.
For current intents and purposes, it's not much more than FieldChar.
Of course it'll need proper l10n rules, so that 10^5 gets displayed and
input as 100,000.00 for US people and as 100.000,00 for French people.
I'm willing to hardcode the latter in a first run, because that's what I
need immediately.

Regards,