openerp-expert-production team mailing list archive

BoM - Breakdown of Complete Product into parts Setup/Design Question

Dear Manufacturing Experts,

I have a question for you to see if any of you know of a configuration
or module on v6 to achieve this in production.

Scenario
Company buys complete product from an overseas suppliers (let's say a
bicycle - COMPBIKE), but when they receive the item - they go through
an operation to disassemble the COMPBIKE product into individual parts
(e.g. frame, fork, front wheel, handlebars, seat, etc.). Like a
reverse BoM.

This is cheaper than purchasing the parts individually.

Cost of complete bike $200
Sales Price of complete bike $1000 (not that it's relevant here)
Total Sales Price of broken down components (added together = $2500)

So a single product input - explodes into multiple end products of
various products.

So the Products to Consume = COMPBIKE
Bill of Material = COMPBIKE BREAKDOWN

The finished products/subproducts
part A - frame
Part B - fork
Part C - wheels * 2
Part D - handlebar
etc

So this is a dissemble operation
Single input (Complete Bike) --> Operation - Dissasemble COMPBIKE -->
Finished Products - all the parts according to the COMPBIKE BREAKDOWN
BOM

What we're having trouble think through is:
1) Currently in OpenERP when you enter a Manufacturing Order in v6 you
enter the name of the product you're "producing" in the MO Header
(mrp.production.product_id) and then the Bill of Material
(mrp.production.bom_id).

Since this is a reverse operation - we believe the product_id should
be the name of the product we're consuming versus producing - as we're
producing multiple components with the breakdown.

Secondly, instead of consuming goods related to a
mrp.production.bom_id (inputs --> outputs (generated by BoM and
associated subproducts list), we believe that the Finished products
should have a BoM Associated with it maybe on the Finished Product Tab
(so mrp.production.bom_id_reverse) is utilized.

At least that is what we're initially thinking.

How have others handled this situation. (using mrp_subproduct or with
custom coding)?

I guess we're asking - how have others handled the configuration of a
Disassemble/Breakdown operation and management of the
procurement/production orders in a dissemble operation.

PLANNING
>From a procurement standpoint - if any of the subcomponents need
product - it may generate a manufacturing order to breakdown a
complete bike - if they are in inventory.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

David Mitchell
NovaPoint Group LLC
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx