openerp-expert-production team mailing list archive

Assembly/Sales BoM

Dear Manufacturing Experts,

Is anyone aware of a module to create the infamous "Assembly" BoM (aka a
Sales BoM - that is kitted up at time of picking) that has been listed in
the v5 and v6 Doc??

We've had conversations with OpenERP - and their recommendation is to
utilize Phantom BoM's. Based on our testing however inventory is not
calculated correctly on the ultimate Kit product. As a result manager's
(like purchasing and product manager's) can't answer the question - Where
was a product consumed when it is sold separately and consumed by one of
more Assembly BoM's?

Ultimately, an Assembly BoM in our opinion should combine a consumption and
picking operation together, and should reflect a move of the end kit product
into inventory and immediately delivered to the customer. A combination
consumption+stock+sale move. This would accurately reflect sales and
inventory.

Using Phantom's for Kitting and Assembly we don't believe is the right
approach.

In the end, our plans are to create an Assembly BoM - to get the system to
perform as it should for proper Kitting.

We've attached a sample intro spec/blueprint to convey the idea. Please send
your thoughts and feedback.

If the experts group is aware of the infamous Assembly BoM support somewhere
in the ecosystem (or in a private library - which seem to be appearing
frequently now) perhaps you can point us to an existing development or be
willing to share. We believe some of you have probably have had clients ask
for this capability already.

Thanks as always for your input.

Sincerely,

David Mitchell