Re: [Merge] lp:~bastian-germann/openlp/setup into lp:openlp

Review: Disapprove

Hi Bastian,

Thank you for contributing to OpenLP! It's great to see some of the issues I've seen in OpenLP finally addressed. We have not had the time to look into these issues, and we're happy to see someone looking into them.

Unfortunately your changes are not compatible with distributing OpenLP via Linux distributions. While you have highlighted some very real problems in this merge proposal, your proposed fixes do not take into account the multiple ways OpenLP is distributed.

While I am happy to make OpenLP installable via PyPI, it is not our primary way to distribute OpenLP. Most of our users are not developers or terribly computer literate for that matter, and certainly over 90% of them have never heard of or used PyPI.

Please discuss your changes with the rest of the team on our mailing list. We have discussed some of the issues you have highlighted, and it would be better to engage the whole team and hear what we have already discussed and come up with a solution that works for everyone.

Renaming openlp.py: https://lists.openlp.io/pipermail/openlp-dev/2017-March/000186.html

Using Python 3.6: https://lists.openlp.io/pipermail/openlp-dev/2018-June/000402.html
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~bastian-germann/openlp/setup/+merge/356147