Re: [Merge] lp:~bastian-germann/openlp/setup into lp:openlp

I see. The only change that would influence distributing via a Linux packaging system is the introduction of the vlc module as a new dependency. The other changes do not interfere if the Linux packages install python packages with their Python dist information which is the case for all the Linux distributions that I use.

The vlc module available for Arch in the AUR. For Debian there is a Request For Packaging and on Fedora there is at least an old version for Python 2.

I am happy to discuss changes. In my experience it is far better to have something to offer as a base for discussion in free software projects. If you just come with suggestions, the developers usually say: "Good idea! Maybe next year when someone has time..."

The point of having a working setup.py is that you can install OpenLP on any platform that supports Python and Qt5. In the current state if you want to install e.g. on OpenBSD and did not know about scripts/check_dependencies.py you would have to go through a lot of files to get an idea of what dependencies are needed. And you could not be sure to be right so even if the program starts there could be a thing that you missed. E.g. I found the pyxdg when I started to scan OpenLP for license violations after I found the first one. It is not noted in check_dependencies at all. The same would be true for a developer with a Windows environment who wants to work on trunk.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~bastian-germann/openlp/setup/+merge/356147